This church beside the parliament was first mentioned in ancient documents in 1225. In 1522, it became the first church in Latvia to hold a Lutheran service, but during a brief Polish occupation 60 years later it was returned to its Catholic lock, who have held it ever since. It’s also interesting to note that St. James was one of the first three churches built in Riga and unlike the Riga Cathedral and St. Peter’s where mass was held in German, it held services in Latvian until the Reformation.
Open 08:00 -19:00 (closed 13:00 -14:30).
tel. (+371) 67 32 6419,